3L from top school with no job lined up, not getting interviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L from top school with no job lined up, not getting interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:52 pm

Anyone else in this position? I was below median 1L at a top school (think HYSCC) but have been at or above since. Not getting any call backs and career services has basically said my resume and CL are fine. Feeling super frustrated and down. Have good work experience pre-law school. Not going to reveal too much because I feel this situation is fairly rare coming from these types of schools.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L from top school with no job lined up, not getting interviews

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:52 pm
Anyone else in this position? I was below median 1L at a top school (think HYSCC) but have been at or above since. Not getting any call backs and career services has basically said my resume and CL are fine. Feeling super frustrated and down. Have good work experience pre-law school. Not going to reveal too much because I feel this situation is fairly rare coming from these types of schools.
What kind of work are you seeking and what kind of work did you do during your summers? Hard to answer this without knowing if you're seeking big law litigation or nonprofit work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:40 am

HYSCC? So Columbia lol? If so, this is not unheard of particularly if below median. These firms have lots of Columbia students to pick from (as well as students at other T14 above median). I know someone from CLS in this position who was eventually able to get a position from a market-paying, but not V20 firm. Just blanket everything in the V100 and be flexible on the type of work they may need. If this is Harvard or Chicago I'd also talk to their clerkship offices and see what they can do. I'm fairly certain this is not Stanford or Yale but if it is, I'd check your resume for typos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:30 am

I'm not at Columbia. I have reached out to the clerkship office and they are being helpful, but nothing yet. I am honestly quite open and not necessarily targeting big law. I have also applied to a range of 1 year fellowships with school funding.

First summer I had a firm internship, second summer I had a legal internship in the private sector but not at a firm.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:45 pm

This situation is pretty rare but not summering at a firm during your 2L probably explains a little of it. Are you only applying to certain geographic locations? I'd hit NYC and in addition to the usual Vault firms, smaller firms that pay close to big law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:40 pm

Common enough at NYU. Be glad you're not there.

You just need postgraduate employment. Have you considered state trial and/or appellate clerkships? And then blanketing the federal government with applications while you're clerking? I.e., honors programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”